Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Outdoor Wednesday!

Susan at A Southern Daydreamer is hosting "Outdoor Wednesday"



Please visit her inspiring blog for a full list of all the participants today.

A few years ago my husband and I visited Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic. Dominican Republic is the second largest Caribbean island nation. I thought I would share a few of our photos from our wonderful vacation.





You can click on the pictures to enlarge.
I was in the pool and took this picture.






This is the lobby which was outside/inside.




The pretty Flamingo in the lobby.



This was one of many security guards. There were even guards on the beach.



You could see the mountians and the ocean. It was amazing!


We took a day trip to Santiago which is about an hours drive. We had to hire a driver and a body guard. The roads were not the greatest, and the driving was horrific, but when we got the Santiago it was worth the trip.


I little bit of history about the Monument.

Monument a los Héroes de la Restauración (Monument to the Restoration): Built in 1940 on the highest point in the city and visible throughout, this tower honors the heroes who restored the country’s independence during the War of Restoration against Spain in the 1860s. (It originally honored the vainglorious dictator Rafael Trujillo, but that was changed after his assassination in 1961.) If you make the somewhat arduous climb to the top, the tower offers panoramic views overlooking the city and the fertile Cibao Valley. Inside is a mural painted by the Spanish social-realist artist Vela Zanetti, who was forced into exile by Trujillo after Zanetti dared to depict peasants struggling for freedom.
I looked this up on http://www.answers.com/topic/santiago-de-los-caballeros to get the information on the monument.
The view from the Monument were breath taking.



Us resting from a long day!


I hope you enjoyed the pictures from Dominican Republic! I will have to say I want to be there right now! I am ready for spring!

Please make sure you stop by and see Susan at A Southern Daydreamer.



32 comments:

Susan said...

Happy Outdoor Wednesday Lori! I loved seeing all you pictures of Dominican Republic...gorgeous! Thanks for sharing your photos.

Susan

Kristina P. said...

So beautiful! I wish I had the opportunity to travel more.

Melissa Wertz said...

What a wonderful trip! Pretty photos. Happy Outdoor Wed.!

tollesons4him said...

I bet the pictures don't even compare to how beautiful it was in person! These are wonderful pictures!

Beautiful Pear Tree Lane said...

What beautiful pictures, I know you all throughly enjoyed your trip.Thank you for sharing.
Blessing,
Sue

Candy said...

Fun times, wonderful adventure, beautiful place, & happy memories.
Happy Wed, Candy

kbbryant said...

Looks like that was a beautiful and adventurous place to visit. My favorite photo though is you resting. I can relate.

Kathy b

Maryrose said...

What a beautiful place. I love to dream about warm places. Great pic of the two of you resting. Thanks for sharing, Maryrose

Really Rainey said...

Now that's my kinda Vacation! Wonderful pix!

*~Rainey

xinex said...

Your vacation pictures look so beautiful and relaxing. We travel a lot but never been to the Dominican Republic so I am glad you shared these. Thanks!...Christine

Light and Voices said...

Your photographs of the Dominican Republic trip are just wonderful. Happy Outdoor Wednesday!
Joyce

mbkatc230 said...

What a great trip! That lobby is amazing, and of course anytime there is a water view I'm hooked. And a flamingo in the lobby - how fun! Thanks for sharing these. Kathy

Kristie R said...

beautiful pictures

Chris said...

Looks like you took a wonderful vacation. Your pictures are awesome. Makes me want to plan a trip there. Thanks for sharing.

Hugs,
Chris

Lynette said...

I want to go RIGHT NOW - stamping my foot like a 3 year old!!

tardevil said...

Wow that looks like fun. I would have been a big chicken if I had to have body guards! Have a great time at the beach. We're just finishing up basketball, but starting soccer and softball season. It looks like it may be June before I ever see the beach again. Boo hoo. I know it's not attractive to whine, but it's KILLING ME! So, have fun for me & please do a little shopping on my behalf!

Chandy said...

Great pictures! What a feast for the eyes who don't travel much!

Have a great Wednesday!

Kristen said...

What a great vacation! I would love to be there right NOW!

Can't wait for Spring and warmer vacations!

Melissa Miller said...

~WOW~ Lori what a beautiful place! :)

It looks like a dream...

Yaya said...

Those pics make me jealous! ;)

Lindsay-ann said...

Hi Lori
I really enjoyed your pictures from the Dominican Republic. It looks really beautiful. I feel like I have been on a virtual tour just by reading your post. Thanks so much. I enjoyed hearing about the monument's history too. I love hearing about new places.
We will be in Florida in less than 5 weeks time. We can't wait.
Lindsay

Chari said...

Hi Lori...

So glad that you stopped by! Girl, what a fabulous vacation!!! I thoroughly enjoyed each and every photo! A view of the mountains and ocean at the same time...it just doesn't get any better than that!!! Hehe!!! Thanks for sharing your fab vacation photos!

Love ya,
Chari

Fifi Flowers said...

What a BEAUTIFUL place! Looks like a GREAT place to be right NOW with drink in hand!

JudyBug said...

What beautiful pics. I bet you had a wonderful time. Unless I decide to fly again, I'll never see this. You're tempting me...almost!


JudyBug

Debra said...

Lori,

How beautiful ... thanks for sharing those pics with us! I love the beach atmosphere...it just puts my soul at peace!

Blessings to you this evening, my friend.

Tracy said...

Great photos, looks like a fabulous vacation! I dream of traveling to a beautiful place like this - maybe once the kids are out of college!

howard said...

How beautiful. You must have had a wonderful time on that vacation. It looks like Paradise, only ... hmm, Paradise with body guards? Thanks for sharing!
Cass

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

WOW!!! What beautiful photos, along with great memories.. I loved learning some of the history. I hope your snow didn't last long. Ours is a distant memory now..lol.. Tomorrow is suppose to be even warmer than today.. I'm looking forward to that... hugs ~lynne~

Ann On and On... said...

Oh, I am trying really hard not to cry. I am still hip deep in snow....

I am not sure if you were interested in the card swap I'm hosting. If you are please email me at:
amerskine@hotmail.com

(Please include your name and address and I'll get you on the list.)
Thanks!

Charlene said...

Thanks for visiting me for Outdoor Wednesday. Your photos are awesome. I wish I was down there on vacation now don't you?

KATHERINELLEN said...

Beautiful photos...the lobby is great...the water is so blue...love the mountain. Thanks for sharing...Kathy

angie said...

Sounds like such a great trip! I really enjoyed all the of the pictures and the history that you provided.

I LOVED my package. THANK YOU!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails