Thursday, December 31, 2009

Can we all say gross?

This year like last year we decided to come to our beach place and spend the New Year!  We had such a wonderful time last year just relaxing and decided to do it again...  How fun spending time at the beach??  This year Emily wanted to bring a friend, so we let her! 

We came down and spent Thanksgiving at the beach.  That was the last time we have been down!  We arrived Tuesday afternoon the 29th.  Emily and her friend were walking the dogs while Steve and I brought some stuff in.  As soon as I walked in the door, there was this terrible smell, and noticed the lights were out.  I made the mistake an opened the fridge.  What a mistake that was.....  There was this smell that would knock down a coroner...  We called the electirc company to find out what was going on....  Everything was fine on their end, so now what do you do??  We found the "box" outside and had to reset it, and bam we had lights.  Easy problem to fix...

The electricity had been out for about a month we determine which ment the fridge had been without power as well...  We had to throw out all of our food....  I'm not sure if any of you have had the pleasure of throwing out rotten food before, but the smell is gross... I'm talking makes you gag.  After the food was thrown out, I had to clean, and get the smell out...  I used vingear, bleach, tilex, baking soda, and candles, but nothing seems to work.  (I did not use all of that at the same time.)  Any help from y'all or advise anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated.

I will say my fridge/frezer are very clean now, but the smell is still there.  I had to take a picture of my frezer.  What kind of blogger would I be if I didn't take pictures?

Here's the frezer all cleaned out with a candle burning in it!!!





The candle didn't help!

What can you do?  We went to the beach to get away from the smell...



Emily running for fresh air!!!



After we left the beach we went shopping!!!  Shopping is a great way to leave your problems behind, right?  Nothing a new pair of shoes and some jeans can't fix!

The smell is not completely gone, but I keep cleaning.

I hope this is not a sign of what is to come for the New Year!!!

Everyone enjoy your New Year and be safe!

9 comments:

Lynette said...

OMG - the candle in the freezer! You clown!

Hope the smell is gone by the time y'all are! Enjoy, have fun, you're at the beach! What kind of shoes did you get?

Happy New Year -

JennyMac said...

Love the outdoor pics! Gorgeous.

Queenie Jeannie said...

Ugh! What a mess! Here's what to do: You've already cleaned it well, so get THREE fresh lemons, cut in half and place on a plate in the frig. Next completely open a box of baking soda for EACH shelf/drawer. Both are natural deoderizers!! It will take a couple of days but should work.

Happy New Year and thank you for visiting me on my special SITS Day!

Twice as Nice said...

Try vanilla. Put some in a cup and close the door for a few hours. I remember years ago something was smelling and I couldn't figure out what it was but it was SO nasty. Finally I found it...it was a potato and let me tell you there is nothing more gross then a rotten potato. Good Luck! The Twins

Anna said...

oh no! I can only imagine how bad it was from one month like that. We lost power last year during Hurricane Ike and we were only out of the house a couple of days and the smell then was bad enough.
I hope some of your remedies work soon and you can enjoy your New Year at the beach :)

Darcie said...

Sorry to hear...ugh...don't have any ideas to offer up because you have tried everything I probably would.

I agree...go shopping..that helps everything. :-)

Ms Bibi said...

What a perfect place to bring in the New Year....I wish you Happy New Year and all the best in 2010 to you and your family

mbkatc230 said...

Yep, I was going to suggest lemons too. You can slice them into wedges and put them in a cup or two of boiling water and let that sit in the fridge/freezer. And definitely open several boxes of baking soda in there - thank goodness soda is cheap. You can also try scrubbing with club soda. It may take a day or two, but it should help. And if not, I would just sit on the beach! Hope the rest of your weekend is better and that you have a wonderful New Year! Kathy

Anonymous said...

I've heard a few different things that might work, besides the lemon, baking soda or vanilla. One is a bag of kitty litter, slit open down the front and left in the closed fridge for a day or two. The other, which is supposed to be really strong smells is a bag of charcoal, the kind of the BBQ grill. Slit it open (like the litter) and leave it in there over night or longer. Good luck!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails