Saturday, February 6, 2010

My two topiaries!

I love topiaries, but didn't love the price.  I just couldn't pay $100.00 for one, so I decided to make my own.  I found a great tutorial from Abby at Tales and Trials.  I also found another great tutorial over at Lynette's L.A.M. blog.    Both of their topiaries turned out great.

Here's my version!

I bought 4 styrofoam balls from Hobby Lobby.  They didn't have the green ones so I had to get the white ones.





I bought ivy and moss from Michael's



I recycled two of my pots.  Yes, the plants I had in there died.  I have to keep it real for you ya know!



It snowed 9" last weekend, but the snow wasn't going to stop me from spray painting! I painted the balls green.




I found two sticks in my yard.  I made the sticks the same size.  Well almost.

I then put the balls on my sticks!



I put some rocks in the planter, so the base would be heavy and not turn over when it is windy.  I put newspaper in it as well to give it some height.  I also used florist foam to hold the stick and I used my glue gun.  I put the glue inside the hole and around the stick. 



I then used a pencil to make holes for the ivy.  I just kept putting the ivy in the balls until they were completely covered.



I aded a ribbon and I glued moss at the bottom.

All done!






I think they turned out pretty well, and I didn't spend nearly the money if I would have bought these from a store.

Please stop by and enter my Tassel giveaway HERE!

This is your last chance to join my Spring Fling Gift swap. Click HERE for all of the details.


Spring Fling







I'm linking to:
A Soft Place To Land - Do it yourself day
Today Creative Blog - Get your craft on

38 comments:

design_aholic said...

Looks great I love the ivy...

Audra said...

These are beautiful! Love, love, love them. Great tutorial as well, I am inspired.

Heidi@TheCraftMonkey said...

they turned out great! gotta love that you spray painted in the snow!

Mama Thompson said...

Love how they turned out...price is even better!

BonjourRomance said...

Bonjour Lori,
These topiaries turned out great. I loved the little green touch you added to the snow too.

CC said...

I love,love,love them. Did I mention I loved them..they are just beautiful
Once,having found some miniature topiaries with a major price tag, I did the same as you..only much smaller. They came out so sweet..and mine were small enough that I had all the supplies on hand.hmmmmm, I may try another one, you have inspired me.

Veronica said...

They look great and they won't die in the winter months. I like them on the sides of your door. Great job.

Funky Junk Interiors said...

Cool touch with the ivy! They really do look great flanking both sides of your door.

Thanks for linking up to SNS!
FJ Donna

Resh Rene` said...

I Love them Lori, they look awesome! I think you did s great job. Looks like a project I may have to try!

Michelle said...

I looks great! It is a nice way to frame your door!

Ms Bibi said...

Those turned out fantastic. I was thinking about making something like that for my front door.

Thank you for featuring me.

Come by I have something for you

http://findingthepotofgold.blogspot.com/2010/02/sharing-loveawards-awards-and-more.html

Jenna said...

I love this Idea! I went to Sams Club and bought 2 topiarys for my porch, for 69.00 each, got home and couldnt believe I wanted to put them outside! LOL I decided to keep the beauties indoors...LOL

Tardevil said...

They look great! Good job!

Susan said...

What brilliant little topiaries! You really are a craft genius :)

Nancy said...

Wow, those are great!!

Nancy

Katie said...

I love these!

One Cheap B*tch said...

That came out great! And you are one brave lady going out in the snow to paint. Oh the things we do in the name of good crafting! LOL!

Allison Shops said...

They turned out great. Love the crooked one - like Charlie Brown's Christmas tree (but nicer!) Has character!

Kammy said...

Cool ! I love how they look outside your door !
Kammy

Wendy said...

They turned out fabulous!!

And you cant beat the price compared to $100!

Visiting from Cottage Instincts!

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

Now, this is so pretty. I love it. You did a wonderful job. Hugs, Marty

Andrea @ TheTrainToCrazy.com said...

Wow! Those are impressive. Nice work!

Emily {Frilly Details} said...

Wow!!! Those are adorable!!! Much better than anything you could buy at the store! Great job :)

simplydesigning.blogspot.com said...

turned out very cute!

Melissa Miller said...

Lori those topiaries turned out so awesome and really beautiful too. Love them!

Your blog looks incredible! ~WOW!

Michelle said...

I love how you used real branches. They "natural" element looks very cool!

Tiff @ Making The World Cuter said...

Very pretty and thrifty! Love them!
Thanks for sharing and for linking back to me!
-Tiff

Heather@ theherberfamily.blogspot.com said...

Those turned out great- Kudos to you for spray painting in the snow!!

Thank you so much for stopping by the Talented Tuesday at My Frugal Family link party, and adding this to the page! Don’t forget to stop back next week to see which links from this week are featured, and to add your new links!

Kim said...

I liked that you used real branches - it "sells" the look!

Maridith said...

Wow, spray painting in the snow. I didn't know that could work! Guess I was wrong. Great job! Looks wonderful!

Also, I like the new look of your blog!

Rocio @ Casa Haus said...

Wow Lori, I like the way your topiaries turned out. They're cute!

kirstin & jordan said...

Love the topiaries (and love it that y'all have little signs of spring... none of those in Denver yet!).

If you are interested, stop by and link up to tomorrow's Friday Fun Finds!

Allison Shops said...

I posted on this last week - just wanted to invite you to AtticMag this week to see my home on tour, Allison

susan said...

This is the second topiary I've seen made today--and just in time for me. I have been thinking about making some. Thanks for your tips. They look great!

Cathy Miller said...

Those are too stinkin cute!! Just what I've been looking for...I need 4 of these for my spring decor on my porches...2 on the front, 2 on the back~!! I'll be heading to the craft store asap!!

Michael Lee West said...

Absolutely gorgeous! I made a heart topiary for Valentine's and didn't think to use a pencil to make holes. Your tutorial is great!

Sarah said...

Thanks for sharing these. They look great! I've never made a topiary, but just might do one now. Thanks for the inspiration.

jenjen said...

Those are so cute. I love them by your door. Adorable!

Thanks for linking this up. I love it!

XOXO
Jen

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails