Sunday, February 28, 2010

Pretty Petals!

I'm ready for spring and warmer weather!!!  I decided since the weather was not cooperating, I would add some spring into my house!!!  I made some pretty petals, and it only cost me $1.75.  Yep, you heard me correctly $1.75. 

Take a look at my Pretty Petals!  Do ya want to know how I made these?  It's a super easy peasy project!



Here is the list of items you will need:
3 sticks from your yard, and if the weather has been as windy as it has been in NC, then you should not have a problem finding any. 
3 aluminum soda cans.  I got mine at work
1 bucket. Michael's has them for $1.00
3 candles.  Wal-Mart has them for .25 each
Floral Foam
Chalk Board paint. Only if you want to paint your bucket.
3 thumb tacks
Glue gun
Gorilla Glue


I put chalk board paint on my bucket. 


Cut your soda cans a little more than half way down.  I used my gloves, so I would not cut my fingers.


I sanded the edges just a bit. 


I cut the can to make the petals.  I didn't measure where to cut.  I just cut.


Fold the aluminum down.


I tired to put a nail from the soda can to the stick, but it didn't work.  I decided to use my Gorilla Glue to hold the can to the stick.  Wait a while for the glue to dry.  This is a good time to put a second coat of chalk board paint on your bucket.

After I glued the stick to the petals, I started to think about how I was going to get the candle to stay on the petals (since the nail did not work for me).  I didn't want to glue the candles to the petals, I decided to call it a night and think about it.

The next day at work the idea hit me.  I was going to use thumb tacks! 
I used my glue gun to attach the tacks.  


I cut the floral foam to fit into the bucket and put my sticks in the foam.


I used some moss to cover up the foam and wrote spring on my chalk board!




Now I have some spring flowers in my house!  So take that Mr. Weather!



All of this beauty cost me $1.75.
I decided to put my flowers on my mantel.

What do you think?


See who I'm linking up with HERE

I saw something similar to this on the internet, and if this was your idea please let me know, so I can give you proper credit.

26 comments:

Lynette said...

Those came out so good and cute - love them and the detailed instructions! You are so inspiring - I'm gonna have to have some of my own now!! ;-)

Shannon said...

So stinkin cute!!!

Patricia said...

these are fabulous!!

Martha said...

How clever!

Low Tide High Style said...

Very cool, they have a modern industrial vibe going on and what a bargain!

Kat :)

Heidi@TheCraftMonkey said...

these are way cool, and I would SO have to have made a trip to the ER to have my hand sewn back together b/c I'm NEVER smart enough to wear gloves! LOL

susan said...

So unique--love the contrast of spring flowers and aluminum! Very clever!

Mel said...

I love these. I feel warm and fuzzy inside when something is reused rather than hitting a land fill.

too Blessed to Stress said...

Ok... cuteness!!!! You're just so clever :)

~ Emily N. from "too Blessed to Stress"

Audra said...

When I was in Sedona visiting family members, I went to a yard sale where this "artist" Robert Shields had a yard sale, He had loads of these lining his drive way.

btw... Robert Shields was one half of Sheilds and Yarnell the pantomine troup. Funny to go to a yard sale where he was selling stuff.

Me said...

Absolutely brilliant - an awesome, awesome, awesome recycling project...

The DIY Show Off said...

So cute and great tutorial! I'm so ready for spring too! Thanks for sharing your creativity in the DIY Project Parade. :)

Have a fantastic week!

Roeshel

Kaysi said...

I love this!! What a great idea and I have a ton of cans because my husband loves coke!

tales from an oc cottage said...

Way to go!!!

m ^..^

Amanda said...

This is VERY creative, never seen anything like this! Love how you connected the candle to the flower!

Jessica Guthrie said...

Happy Follow Monday! Im #200 yay! www.miamamiah.com

Earth Loving Angel said...

God bless you for doing this!

Keeping those cans out of the dump really does help improve the health of Mother Earth, even if it's just 1 can at a time.

Denise said...

Following your blog from Trendy Treehouse's Marketing Monday's blog hop.

Stop by for a visit.
http://extremepersonalmeasures.blogspot.com

Felissa Hadas said...

Stopping by with Marketing Monday. Hope you had a great start to your week.

Felissa

www.felissahadas.blogspot.com
www.twolittlecavaliers.blogspot.com

Kimberly said...

So great! Every time I see anything made with soda cans I think of Twister (the movie) and how they're used to make the little computer-thingies fly. So clearly they're good for lots and lots of things. Science, decorating, storage... :)

Grace @ Ruby Moon Designs said...

What a wonderful and creative idea...and inexpensive too! Way to go!

Blessings, Grace

Room to Inspire said...

Oh, I love these! What a fabulous idea - very creative. Thank you for linking up this project to Be Inspired as well!

Chelsea

Jerri said...

Great project! And very unique!

Thanks for linking up for Friday Favorites!

Melissa said...

Wow. How wonderful. Thanks for sharing!

kimmykats said...

So very clever! They turned out beautiful! Thanks for the instructions.

Rory said...

Hi Lori,

Another nice post as usual. I wanted to tell you that I have joined as a follower with my new blog Tools Are For Women Too! The new blog is a tool site specifically geared towards today's craftswoman. Please drop by and visit it if you can. I am alos doing a couple giveaways. Thank you, and keep up the good work. Rory

http://toolsareforwomentoo.blogspot.com/

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails