Sunday, March 21, 2010

Power tools, chunky candles, and new sponsor!

Are you ready to Bejeweled? 
I would like everyone to meet Chelsea from Bejeweled.  She makes the cutest and I mean cutest watches!  I bought one from Chelsea...  O.K. O.K I really bought two!  Girls can never have too many watches, right?
   

I actually bought this one!
Not only does she make these watches, but she also makes rings, earrings, headbands, and bracelets. She has some of the neatest jewerly!
So what are you waiting for?  Please go and visit Bejewled, and tell her I sent ya!


Now for the power tools!  Let me just say I'm in LOVE with power tools!


This is my very first project using power tools all by myself. Let me emphasize by MYSELF! I’ve been around my husband’s tool for a long time, but really never used them. I have been intimated by them!


I’ve seen so many projects by all of you wonderful ladies out here using power tools and I said “I will not be intimated anymore.” Thank you all!

Do you want to see what I did? This was done under the watchful eye of my hubby! I had to sit for 3 bazillion hours listening to instruction on how to use each tool correctly and SAFELY! (love ya honey)

What I used!
1-2x4 from Lowe's.  We had another 2x4 at home! 
4-fence post toppers
Jointer
Plainer
Table saw

I came home from work the other day to discover this!


I told Steve (hubby) that I planned on making this by MYSELF! 
What Steve did was cut this 2x4 down to the size.  He used wood glue to put them together!  It's the only thing he did!  That is why there are no pictures!!! 



I ran the 2x4's (glued together and dried) in the jointer.  This makes the edges flat!
 
Then run it through the plainer.  The plainer makes the wide part of the wood flat!  You use both to make it square!
 
Now the wood is square!

I ran it through the table saw to make them both the same size!  Steve did help with this part.  Do you see how high that blade is?  (Can we say intimated?)

Now that all the wood is square it's time for wood puddy!  Put the wood puddy were you can see the joints.


After the puddy dries sand! 


I also sanded the fence post toppers, so the paint would go on better!


It is now time to put the fence toppers on the finished post!

Use a small amount of wood glue and attach it to the post!


Once the glue is dried, screw in a screw! (don't really know why, but that was from the watchful eye of Steve)  Did I tell ya?  I had to listen to 3 bazillion hours of how to work each tool?

Now all you have to do is prime and paint!  I didn't need Steve's help for that!

So what do you think?





Total cost $5.00 each!
You can also buy some 4x4 (the 4x4's are a little more expensive than 2x4) and cut out all of this, but most 4x4s are treated for outdoor use which is why they cost more!!!  I had a fun day with Steve even though I spent 3 bazillion hours listening to him about how each tool worked!  Steve's motto safety, safety, safety!

I first saw this at Fab to Drab!  You have to take a look at all of their chunky candle sticks!  Thanks for the inspiration ladies!

Don't forget to join the Spring/Easter party HERE and help us to get inspired!  I will showcase some of your ideas until April 4th!  Please visit the party to get some great ideas!

Don't forget to enter my GIVE-A-WAY HERE!


I'm joining all of these parties HERE!







45 comments:

gail@myrepurposedlife.blogspot.com said...

now, that's a lot of power tools! you go girl!
Your chunky candlesticks look fabulous!
now there's no stopping you!
gail

Lois said...

good for you with your power tools..
love your chunky candlesticks...
come on over and visit my blog, you're always welcome.

Jamee said...

those turned out great- i am a little timid when it comes to power tools - i soo need to get over that

Linda said...

Looking good with all those power tools...your candle holders look outdtanding!

Blessings,
Linda

One Cheap B*tch said...

Good for you! I have to admit, power tools kind of intimidate me but you've inspired me to give them a go. Sometimes it's nerve-wracking waiting for the hubby to do something for you.

Shannon said...

That watch is so cute. It looks like a piece of jewelry, and a girl cant have too much jewelry! Great job on the candle display, very pretty.

Heidi@TheCraftMonkey said...

look at you go! great job, and they candle sticks looks great!

Kelee Katillac said...

Hi Lori!

I love a girl with power tools! Thanks so much for stopping by...your candlesticks came out great!

I will participate in Thursday event soon.....

love,kelee

BonjourRomance said...

Bonjour Lori,
Good for you, you look so professional in those action shot, especially using the big table saw - good to let Steve halp with that! Looks great painted black.

I have my own power tools - boy I like saying that. :) As a little girl I would go and 'help' my father who did workworking. As I got older he started buying me tools. My honey thinks its great!
Keep up the good work!
Mimi

too Blessed to Stress said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!! those look awesome. I love the impact they make with minimal floor space taken up. Awesom as always :)

~ Emily N. from "too Blessed to Stress"

Victoria said...

Wow, you are brave! My staple gun scares me so I don't think I could touch power tools. Your candleholders came out awesome!!!

Kitchen Belleicious said...

Wow! you go girl. I like making things but don't think i could ever pull that off! i am visiting from southern mamas! We are so glad to have you join us! Hope you can come check out my site and enter my giveaway i have going on this week! http://kitchenbelleicious.blogspot.com

Connie said...

I'm always looking for things that aren't too "crafty" looking to use in our home b/c my husband is an architect and is hard-core modern. I think I could get away with these!

Thanks for sharing!

Aprons Gone Wild said...

Impressive, Lori! Nice job. There's something powerful about using power tools, don't you agree?
Thanks for stopping by my blog.
Joanne

The Persimmon Perch said...

Love that you tackled it all by yourself! They look great. Thanks for sharing with Made it Monday! Jules

Shayna Mills said...

These are FABulous, and look like something I can do, thank you for posting them.

Angie @ The Country Chic Cottage said...

Nice job!! I love em!

Caroline said...

I absolutely love the pillar candle holders...great job! = ) I want to make some now!

Laura said...

These turned out great. Well done!

Kaysi said...

Wow those are awesome!

Amy @ Positively Splendid said...

These are terrific!!

too Blessed to Stress said...

Stop on by Lori ~ I have something for ya :)

~ Emily N. from "too Blessed to Stress"

Darcie said...

You go Lori!!! Just look what you are up to now...power tools! I can't believe how this has taken off for you. I am impressed on so many levels...I think you could teach me a few things thats for sure!

Melissa Miller said...

~WOW Lori! Girl good for you! I am so afraid of power tools. They came out gorgeous and I love the addition of the little rocks you added as well.

The watch is precious! I really need a few new ones for the Spring. I will check it out.

Happy Spring! ~Melissa :)

PS I think I need a bloggy break here very soon but I will try to make your Easter party my first post back blogging okay if I can. Sounds fun! *smiles*

Meet Virginia said...

Awesome job Lori! They turned out great! I am so jealous of all your power tools, how fun are they!!

~Morgan

http://meetvirginiaandroo.blogspot.com/
http://www.etsy.com/shop/MeetVirginiaShop

Alicia@Thrifty And Chic said...

Your candlesticks turned out beautiful! I think I skipped a step with mine and just made them out of 4x4, but I love the detail you did for the caps.

niartist said...

WOW! These are amazing! I love the look of them, and the cost - just unbelievable! Great job! Thank you for sharing! I'm about 1/2 way finished with my bathroom remodel, and I hope you can stop by and see the progress. :) Take care! Artie

Bobbie said...

That is super cute! I would love for you to join me over at a vision to remember for check me out saturdays
www.iamonly1woman.blogspot.com

Sarah said...

Great project with gorgeous results!
God's blessings,
Sarah :D

Kelley said...

You go girl! I love them.

Have a great day.

Sandra Powell said...

I love it when women are empowered to do their own ripping, cutting, joining and planing. Great job!
Sandra @sawdusandpaperscraps

Kat @ measuring my life in l-o-v-e said...

Lols - your Hubby sounds like mine, go you for doing it by yourself, I just have him help me still - but someday I will do it. Love your candle sticks!

Lisa B. said...

Love your candlesticks. I made some this week also but not out of wood. :)

Suzanne said...

Those are beautiful. Love the eggs scattered at the base too.

Room to Inspire said...

I think they are amazing and all of those fabulous power tools! Love it. Thanks for linking them up to Be Inspired today.

Chelsea

simplydesigning.blogspot.com said...

I am impressed! You go girl!

Thanks for linking up at my link party!

Be sure to join me Friday for another link party!

Lanie Ree said...

These are so elegant! I love the eggs :) You are so brave, I'm still scared of the drill.


Thank you for linking this to A Little Craft Therapy, with Life in the Pitts.

Maryann @ Domestically-Speaking said...

GO YOU with the power tools - LOVE IT! What a great, easy way to make a huge impact in a room. Thanks for sharing it at the POPP.

Gay Vaughan said...

Super job! Thank you for bringing your hodgepodge to my party! I love seeing what you are up to. I hope you will join again!
~Gay~
itsahodgepodgelife.blogspot.com

Tiryaki said...

candlesticks are adorable!
loves from Turkey..

Carolyn @ My Backyard Eden said...

I just love working with power tools! The candlesticks turned out great!

Thanks so much for linking up to Make it Yours Day at My Backyard Eden!

Jerri said...

And another great project! You are quite the craftsman!

Thanks for linking up for Friday Favorites!

Its So Very Cheri said...

Another great project. Gotta love a gal and her power tools.

Cheri

simplydesigning.blogspot.com said...

Great project! Power tools are fun!

Thanks for linking up. Be sure to join me for today's link party!

Michelle said...

I love these chunky candlesticks! I'm tempted to make some of these for myself!!! I am including this link in the "candlestick" round up at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com, but feel free to link it up to the party for more views!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails